Welcome to Miss Manatee Softball League (MMSL)!
Softball requires a variety of specific equipment in order for our athletes to stay safe while playing their best.
The following is a description of the equipment that is needed.
Items in Red are required to be worn for pre-season assessments, and assessments are mandatory.
1. Softballs - It is a good idea to purchase a few balls to practice with your daughter at home. The league will provide the balls used in practices and games.
(a) 6u (Tball), 8u, and 10u all use an 11" Softball.
(b) 12u and 13+ both use a 12" Softball.
(c) In 8u, players will pitch using a softee ball.
(d) Softballs are actually hard. Tennis balls are a good training tool when first teaching a young child to catch.
2. Softball Bat - Players must use a fast pitch bat. All fastpitch softball bats have a 2 1/4" barrel. They come in aluminum and composite, as well as a variety of length and weight combinations. Factors such as height, strength and swing speed will dictate the proper sizing. A basic sizing chart, and/or professionals at your local sporting goods store are helpful when first starting out. An expensive bat is not necessary for girls just starting out in softball. However, if your child chooses to advance through our divisions, we recommend working with your child's coach to establish the proper fit. Baseball bats are not permitted for safety reasons.
3. Glove - As a general rule, an infielders glove works well for all age divisions and the sizes would be (a) 6u: 10" - 11", (b) 8u: 11" - 12" and (c) 10u, 12u & 13+: 11.5" - 12.5". It is very important to break-in a new glove to maximize performance, especially for younger girls with a weaker grip
4. Fielder's Mask - Fielders' masks are required for all positions in the 6u, 8u, and 10u Divisions. Masks are also required for pitchers in ALL divisions. MMSL recommends players in all age divisions wear a fielder's mask. However, at this time, it is not mandatory in our 12U and 13+ divisions.
5. Helmet - All helmets must have an attached facemask. When purchasing a helmet, it is recommended to purchase a helmet with a facemask already attached. Helmets and facemasks can be purchased separately and installed at home, but installation can be challenging.
6. Shoes - Metal cleats are not allowed. Molded cleats are highly recommended, however, proper sports shoes such as running shoes are acceptable. Open toe shoes, flip flops, and crocs are not acceptable footwear.
7. Uniforms - Black softball pants are required. All players will be provided a jersey to be worn during games. Softball pants in any other color, shorts, or sweat or athletic pants are not permitted. For cold weather games, a long sleeve shirt under the jersey is permitted. Jackets covering the jersey and number are only permissible in very cold weather.
8. Socks - Long softball socks which cover the entire calve are required. Black socks are recommended; however, many teams enjoy color coordinating their socks with their team jersey.
9. Belts - Belts are not required. If worn, they must be black, or color coordinated with team jersey.
Most of these items can be purchased new or used. Play it Again Sports in Sarasota is an excellent resource. MMSL also offers a Swap Shop for those on Facebook. We sell extremely discounted, used equipment and cleats at our pre-season assessments. However, supplies are limited. Please do not count on us having what you need in order for your daughter to participate in pre-season assessments.
Your Daughter's Coach and Team Mom are also a great resource for any questions or concerns.